In today’s post, I am sharing an amazing recipe with you guys! I chose a yummy quinoa salad loaded with some protein power!
I told you the story about the book “Oh She Glows Everyday” that I bought like a month ago. You can purchase the book if you click on the link. 😉 It is a must have cookbook, full of healthy, mostly gluten-free, vegetarian recipes (desserts included)!
Since I have it, I always have a hard time to pick a recipe, because all of them are so so so appealing! Make me drool even by looking at the pictures, haha.
I wanted to make something quick, healthy, nutrient and protein rich, so I picked the Protein Power Rainbow Salad from the book! God, I am glad that I did pick this one! It was sooo delicious!
As for the nutrient richness, the quinoa is an amazing whole-grain!
Gluten-free, high in vitamins, uniquely high in amino acids, easy to digest, also super quick to cook!
The recipe also gives you a red wine vinaigrette which makes the salad even tastier. It takes 30 minutes to prepare the ingredients, but only about 15 minutes to make the whole thing! I highly recommend it for busy weekdays when you want to make something filling in a short time. It will make you feel full for a while, so perfect choice!;)
Enough talking, let’s see this quinoa salad!:)
For the salad:
- 1 cup uncooked rainbow quinoa, or regular quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- A 14 ounce can of cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 3 medium carrots chopped into pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion ( I used leeks)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
- I also added a cup of kale, but it is not in the recipe
- 1/4 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes drained and finely chopped (optional but recommended)
For the red wine vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Zest of 1 medium lemon (about 1 teaspoon)
For the garnish:
- Fine sea salt and black pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon hemp hearts
- Make the salad: Rinse the quinoa. Combine the quinoa, water, and a pinch of salt in a medium pot and stir. Bring to a boil over medium to high heat, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 13 to 16 minutes, until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy. Remove from the heat, uncover, fluff with a fork, and let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, place the chickpeas in an extra-large bowl. Add the kale, carrot, green onion, parsley, and tomatoes (if using) to the serving bowl along with the chickpeas.
- Make the red wine vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, Dijon mustard, and garlic. While whisking, slowly stream in the oil. Whisk in the salt, pepper, maple syrup, and lemon zest, adjusting to taste if desired.
- Add the cooked quinoa to the bowl along with the veggies. Pour on all the dressing and toss well to combine. Season generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with the seeds and serve. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 to 5 days.
All in all, refreshing, filling, and nutrition rich!
Let me know if you make the recipe or buy the book, how you like it!